Two innovative bridges in Floriade park
How can you produce innovations by working together in a contracting process in multidisciplinary teams of contractors, clients and experts?
This concerns innovations in process, design, material use, Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) and realisation of bridges. This question forms the starting point for the two innovative bridges to be displayed at the Floriade park. The municipality of Almere and the province of Flevoland set up an innovative contracting process for this.
Contracting and designing
Discussions were first held with contractors about the new approach, leading to the selection of three contractors: Heijmans, Van Hattum en Blankevoort and Reimert group.
In an approach resembling speed-dating, the contractors chose their additional team members (experts, students) and the team members chose the contractor. The best matches together formed a team.
In these multidisciplinary teams, work was done in sprints on innovations to themes that were set during the Growing Green Bridges hackathon on 18 October 2018:
- life cycle (LCA)
- management and maintenance
- bridge with multiple functions
- circular, material
- integration in the environment
A different process
The new manner of working differed in:
- the composition of the teams with the aim to add additional knowledge as a stimulus to produce together something other than the traditional result;
- the approach via inspiration sessions with homework for everyone in the teams between sessions;
- the control of the process. The contractor was not in control;
- the meetings with employees of the municipality regarding permits and quality;
- the method of creating the final contract after awarding;
- the Common Data Environment, in which the teams could record and share all information among themselves.
The teams worked on the plans in four sprints. How did that go? What went well and what less well? Read about how the sprints went:
- Blog Another approach
- Blog Sprint 1, April 2019: Team composition and introductions
- Blog Sprint 2, May 2019: Choosing the draft design
- Blog Sprint 3, June 2019 : Expert meeting
- Blog Sprint 4, June 2019: Benefits of the Floriade
Bridge campus Flevoland Floriade
You can contact us by email or using the contact form.
On social media, you can find us on LinkedIn.
After we have received your message, we shall reply as soon as possible, but within 2 workdays at the latest.